Click here to Skip to main content
Henderson State University - Baseball
Henderson State University - Baseball

HSU Baseball Camps

Facilities and Directions

Clyde Berry Field
 

Clyde Berry Field is the home field of the Henderson State Baseball Reddies. The field was built in 1974 to replace an off-campus field in Arkadelphia known as Sturgis Field.

When Clyde Berry Field opened, the park did not have a scoreboard, spectator seating, or even a name. The park was most often referred to as ‘Reddie Field’ and was little more than just a playing field. Over the years, Clyde Berry Field has slowly become the unique ballpark it is today.

In 1979, an old football scoreboard was installed at the park, and in 2001, a new 15-foot tall outfield fence was installed. In addition, it wasn’t until 2002 that seating was installed at the park. Before then, the bluff down the 3rd baseline was the only place to watch the game.

In 2005, a new $40,000 scoreboard was installed, featuring the parks’ new name. It was that fall when the field was officially named after Dr. Clyde Berry, coach of the team from 1964-1966 and from 1982-1987. During his years as coach, he compiled a career win-loss record of 193-115, leading the Reddies to two Arkansas Inter-Collegiate championships.

Overall, Clyde Berry Field is a simple ballpark. Aside from the bluff, the only seating is four small, metal bleachers in a ‘caged’ area behind homeplate, seating approximately 150. The left field fence displays the jersey #7 in memory of former Reddie player Taylor Roark, who was killed in a car accident in 2008.

In early 2011 Clyde Berry Field received numerous renovations including new dugouts, a backstop, a concession stand, restrooms and a press box.

The man behind the name played football and baseball at Henderson State from 1950-52. He also coached at Henderson from 1963-87. During that time, he was head football coach from 1967-70 with his team winning the Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference championship in 1969. Coach Berry additionally was named the NAIA Baseball Coach of the Year in 1966. As the baseball skipper, he coached the AIC baseball champions in 1965 and 1982 and was named AIC and NAIA District Baseball Coach of the Year in 1982. Coach Berry was inducted into the Reddie Hall of Honor in 1997.

Duke Wells Center

The Duke Wells Center has been the home of Henderson State athletics since 1971. Named after legendary Henderson State Coach Duke Wells, the Wells Center has undergone many renovations in its 41-year history. Recent changes included new locker room facilities, a fitness room, restroom facilities, ticket offices and concession stands.

Serving as the home for the men’s and women’s basketball teams and the Lady Reddie volleyball team, the Wells Center also houses the Henderson State athletic offices.Both the men’s and women’s locker rooms received recent facelifts which have included new lockers, carpet and flooring, and furniture.

With Henderson State joining the Great American Conference, changes were also made to the Duke Wells Center. The floor was resurfaced and new conference logos were painted on the floor.

In 2010 a new scoreboard was also installed. The men’s basketball locker room also received a facelift, with newly stained lockers, a new floor, and drywall installed over the brick walls.

Classrooms are located on the second floor, and Henderson State’s other athletic facilities are located nearby. Carpenter-Haygood Stadium, home of the Reddie football team, is directly behind the Wells Center. To the west of the Wells Center is the Bettye Wallace Tennis Center and Clyde Berry Field, home of Reddie baseball.To the east of the Wells Center are the intramural fields, used for sports such as softball and flag football, as well as the Delores Brumfield White softball facility and the Formby Athletic Center.

The intramural fields are also used by the Henderson State soccer club and the Showband of Arkansas. Duke Wells participated in football, basketball and baseball at Henderson State from 1932-34. He was an All-State selection from 1932-34.

Duke served as Henderson State’s head basketball coach from 1941-49, head football coach from 1941-61, and coached teams to two AIC Championships (1950 and 1959). Duke served as Henderson State’s athletics director from 1962-79. He was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1971 and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 1970.


Directions to Henderson State University